Friday, June 25, 2010

"Close friends and memories that I still hold dear"

YMCA Camp counselor Ben started out like so many of our staff, a youth camper. Ben admits he was a reluctant camper his first year, but he quickly warmed to the unique Y Camp experience and started on his journey to counselor. Here's an excerpt from his story:

The camp was nothing like I imagined; it was filled with activities, bonding and loads of fun. In fact, I had so much fun that I came home and my voice was so hoarse from all the yelling I had done.

In 2004, I went to Teen Camp for the first time, and it was double the fun of Youth Camp. The campers were older, and it seemed as if the camp games were more competitive, too. To this day, however, the Teen Camp Dance is the most fun thing I do every year, and is always something to look forward to.

There is also an activity called Cross the Line, a very powerful activity that breaks all judgment and brings people together. I cried the first time because of how powerful and full of emotion it was.

Two years of CIT and Teen Camp also challenged me as an individual. I learned many lessons from my counselors and took heed of their wisdom. Teen camp also brought me many close friends and memories that I still hold dear to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment