Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"I will always carry camp with me"

Most kids, before they've had the experience for themselves, have an idea in mind for what summer camp should be.

This was the case with one of our leaders, Amy, who tried a week at YMCA Camp after a disappointing summer camp experience elsewhere. Here's an excerpt from her story:

My older sister had gone to a YMCA Camp up in McCall. She came back with dozens of pictures and overflowing with good stories to tell.

"Can I go to YMCA Camp?" I asked, curious as to what made this camp so great. My mom smiled at me. I knew she loved the idea of Chelsea and I being together. I always loved the idea of summer camp — you know, like the kind you see in the movies. But I had not been too pleased with my camp experience thus far. I was hoping this YMCA Camp would be different.

This is now my sixth year at Y Camp. We have a new location. I am now surrounded by new staff members. I am no longer a camper. Now an LIT leader, I have the opportunity to show teens how to become a leader. I now know who I am, I know what I want to do with my life, and I know that even if I never come back to this place, I will always carry camp with me. Camp is a part of me and I will never let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment