Friday, April 9, 2010

"Camp can be life changing"

64 DAYS UNTIL HORSETHIEF RESERVOIR GRAND OPENING!

File Michael under "reluctant camper" — initially. YMCA Camp has a way of quickly turning "reluctant camper" into "returning camper." Here's Michael's story:

I have been attending camp for six years, but I can still remember the first summer my parents told me they had signed me up for YMCA summer camp. I remember whining and complaining and telling them that I wasn't going to know anyone and wouldn't have fun or go, but thankfully, they didn't listen and sent me anyway.

I ended up meeting a lot of people and having a great time. This is why I came back year after year, because I remembered how fun the previous year had been. And although this is what camp is about, it is also much more than that. 

Camp can be life changing for many campers as it was for me. However, I didn't realize how big of an impact it has had until recently when I looked back at all the experiences I have had at camp. And it wasn't one specific week, but the whole experience of camp itself that has had a subtle but significant impact on my personality and character.

No comments:

Post a Comment