Tuesday, April 13, 2010

From a "mad, quiet kid" to a leader changing lives

60 DAYS UNTIL HORSETHIEF RESERVOIR GRAND OPENING!

Not everyone likes camp right from the start, and for Joe, the first couple of years weren't the best. He admits, however, that he didn't go into his resident camp experience with the most open of minds. It took a taste of leadership to turn him around, and now he's one of our leaders. Here's his story:

One day during a cabin activity, we did the human knot and I was made the leader. I told people what to do and they did it. I started to have fun because people listened to what I had to say. From there on out, I was living the high life. I was having fun.

From then on, I would think about camp all year and wait. Later on, I went through LIT (Leader-in-Training) camp and met a few of the counselors I work with now. Then I went through CIT (Counselor-in-Training) camp, where I met counselors one-on-one and made friends with other CITs. Now I am at staff training at our new camp. Y Camp has changed my life completely from being a mad, quiet kid to a leader who is changing lives. It is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment