Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"I went there a shyer person and left full of confidence and trust in other people"

53 DAYS UNTIL HORSETHIEF RESERVOIR GRAND OPENING!

A lifelong YMCA member who grew up with the Y's core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility, Christina nonetheless took some convincing to register for resident camp. "Camp didn't sound like my sort of thing," she says. "It was outdoorsy, dirty and buggy."

Armed with a bottle of bug spray, Christina's first camp experience, as a Leader-in-Training, finally took place after hearing her sister rave about YMCA Camp for two years. Here's Christina's story:

My first week at camp was interesting. I met tons of new people who immediately accepted me for who I was. LIT training consists of a lot of team-building, and I bonded with my cabin mates. I was determined to become a senior staff member.

The next summer, I became a CIT (Counselor-in-Training), and this is when camp really started to change my perspective about myself and other people. I was now in more of a leadership position, and I had a cabin filled with little girls looking up to me. I probably French-braided about 60 times that week! I still savor that experience.

I met some amazing CITs that week also. We all shared similar goals: to become senior staff. This group of CITs convinced me that Teen Camp was the best experience they've ever had, and again, with much convincing, I went to Teen Camp. 

Teen Camp changed my life completely. I went there a shyer person and left full of confidence and trust in other people. It's hard to describe how much those three weeks at camp changed me. Camp taught me to respect and listen to people and to understand that everyone has something to offer. Being in the outdoors and around accepting people leaves you with a fantastic sense of happiness.

I consider myself truly blessed that I am up here for my fourth summer of camp as an assistant counselor. I have the opportunity to give little kids the same experience that I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment