Monday, April 12, 2010

"I came to camp to learn from people I admired"

61 DAYS UNTIL HORSETHIEF RESERVOIR GRAND OPENING!

Everyone, it seems, no matter if they're a camper, a counselor or somewhere in between, gets something out of YMCA Camp. Here's a great story from Charlie, who came to camp to learn and lead: 

As I write my story of camp, kneeling in the sun of a brisk Horsethief afternoon, I have three years to reflect upon.

I arrived as a Leader-in-Training (LIT). I signed up for two weeks. I had never had an experience remotely similar to camp, and I was enthralled. At the end of the two weeks, I was confident and enthusiastic, high as a kite, eager to come back. 

What brought me back next summer and the summer after that was obvious. I didn't come to expand my social group, though I did through the process. I didn't come to boat or shoot arrows. I came to camp to learn from people I admired; at least, looking back, I realize this is what I mostly took away and what I craved in coming back.

My LIT leaders talked to me, respected me and treated me like a contemporary who they happened to be teaching. My counselors during my CIT (Counselor-in-Training) stint did the same. They valued my opinion and took an interest in my life. On top of all this, they taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment